Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Geocaching: Skunked in Shanghai



For months, I have wanted to go geocaching in Shanghai. For you geocaching muggle neophytes, think high tech treasure hunting. Thousands and thousands of treasures are stashed around the world--some even near you.
Finally, armed with a bike, three intrepid scouts, our handy-dandy GPS, and our latitude and longitude coordinates, we headed to Century Park, the largest public park in Shanghai. After peddling around the park for 20 minutes, we landed on the coordinates and skulked around. I was a little worried that some lookiloos would report us for suspicious behavior. Which wouldn't have been a problem if we had found the cache and could point to it as tangible evidence of FUN, not FOUL play.
However. No amount of skulking, poking, shaking, inspecting, crouching uncovered the "glass container with a white lid."

Our theory: perhaps some aggressive recycler assumed that the glass container was JUNK. Oh, well. It was wonderful to get out to a part of Shanghai that we had never visited before.
Today I am thankful for my adventurous buddies who happily troop beside me. Even when I get odd ideas and inspiration.

2 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, cool! I have *always* wanted to do this, but I am directionally dyslexic, so I'm pretty sure I'd end up turning around in circles going, "Well, where is it?"

Hope you get a chance to try again!

Anonymous said...

I think it might be fun to geocache. A friend's daughter does it. I notices that there are several sites listed by my house.

eXTReMe Tracker